Alot of hard work and effort goes into organizing a wonderful circus performance like Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey especially when it comes to working with one of our favorites...the great big elephants!
We're very excited to have the circus coming to Charlotte's Time Warner Arena Feb 1-5 and be attending!
We're also giving away 4 tickets to a lucky family that visits our Facebook Page and tells us what they love about the circus the most!
Below are some fun facts about elephants that you may want to share with your kids as you get ready to come to the circus!
Did you know that .....
- Elephants respond to some 60 verbal commands, as well as recognize human and animal friends after years of separation?
- So far, 22 calves have been born at the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Center for Elephant Conservation® with more on the way.
- The Asian elephant has been on the endangered species list for 32 years.
- A female elephant is pregnant for 22 months.
- A Ringling Bros. calf on average weighs 300 pounds at birth
- 150-200 pounds of hay per day in additional to fruits, vegetables and fresh bread is the staple diet for a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Asian elephant.
- Depending on the weather, Asian elephants can drink 30-50 gallons of water on a daily basis.
- An average male Asian elephant will weigh 10,000 – 12,000 pounds.
- The average height of an Asian elephant is 10 feet.
- An elephant can have up to 150,000 muscles in its trunk.
We hope you enjoy it! :)